Bhagavad-gita Myths v/s Facts
Here are some of the myths people generally have about Bhagavad-gita.
Myth: Bhagavad-gita has to be read only in old age. (Famous myth)
Fact: Bhagavad-gita should be read right from the beginning.
- It’s as simple as saying Product manual should be read before using the product.
- Bhagavad-gita was preached to Arjuna who was not old at that time.
- Bhagavad-gita is nothing but the summary of all Vedas. During Vedic period all children used to go to Vedic schools i.e. gurukulas to learn Vedas.
Myth: Bhagavad-gita is for Hindus only.
Fact: Bhagavad-gita is for all Human beings.
- ‘Hindu’ is neither a Sanskrit word nor it is found in the Vedic literatures. The name ‘Hindu’ was developed by outsiders, invaders who could not pronounce the name of the Sindhu River properly.
- All the issues discussed in Bhagavad-gita are directly relevant to every individual irrespective of religion, caste, creed, color, state, country even galaxy and universe for that matter.
Eg: “There is no possibility of one’s becoming a yogi O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or does not sleep enough.”
Myth: Those who read Bhagavad-gita should not marry and should leave everything including family. (Another notorious myth)
Fact: Those who read Bhagavad-gita can marry and can have family life.
- Bhagavad-gita was preached to Arjuna who was married.
- Arjuna was reluctant to fight but after hearing to the Bhagavad-gita he firmly decided to do his duty. He didn’t go to forest or didn’t leave his family instead he won the battle (under Krishna’s guidance) and lived happily with his family.
Myth: Bhagavad-gita is for Indians only.
Fact: Bhagavad-gita is for all not only on this earth but for everyone in Universe/s.
- Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad-gita that He preached the same Bhagavad-gita to Sun God 120 million years ago.
- Sun God is not Indian/ Hindu as he gives light/ heat to the whole universe.
- Evidences are there to prove that the Vedic influence and its ancient existence were found in all parts of the earth which are now countries like Britain, France, Russia, Greece, China, Japan, Egypt, and in areas of Scandinavia, the Middle East, Africa, and the Americas.
- If we pray to God then we need not work (hard) to get good result.
- The result of our work is fully in our hand.